Social Media Icons

Friday, June 13, 2014

Product Review: Current Mascaras

For the last 2 or 3 months I've been trying out a new mascara and thought I'd write a review on it. Also I will add a little blurb at the end on my backup mascara that costs a little less.

I have been blessed with pretty long thick eyelashes (I know, I'm even rolling my eyes as I'm typing it) so I don't need to get any crazy thickening or lengthening formula. What I look for in a good mascara is:


  • Something that doesn't clump
  • Not too wet that I can't layer it
  • Not too dry that it gets all flaky
  • Black
  • A wand that can reach all my lashes 
Not too much to ask for right?

Recently on a trip to Ulta, I saw the Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara and decided that I had to give it a try. Yep, it was the name that for sure sold me on this product.


The only color they offer is black, which is the only color I want any way so that's fine with me. The consistency is pretty liquid. I like this because it goes on easily with little effort. This does make it kind of hard to layer though without making it clump. But luckily the coverage is really good so I don't want to layer much unless I'm going for a really dramatic eye look. 

This is a BIG-BRUSHED mascara!

I don't know if you can tell from this bitter, but it's a BIG brush. It has an hourglass shape with longer bristles near the top and shorter ones near the bottom. There are days when I love the big brush and how little effort it takes me to put the mascara on and there are days I long for a little brush and the exactness that offers.

Let me clarify a little bit. The big brush allows you to brush on the mascaras lightly and still cover each lash. However, if like me, you like to wiggle and push that mascara all the way down to the roots, you might have a problem. The wiggling motion puts too much product on gets clumpy which I am not a fan of at all. The big brush does make getting the lower lashes pretty easy, but if you want to get those little ones in each corner it can be tricky. And I always end up with mascara on my face. 

So overall this mascara really does make my lashes long and thick and wispy, which I adore! For an everyday look. But, the cons are that when I want to go more dramatic (which I often do) I struggle with the fact that I'm not able to layer or add multiple coats very easily. 

My Previous Mascara (and cheaper option)

Before this new Too Faced mascara I used the Physician's Formula OrganicWear Fake Out Mascara in Ultra Black. Again, not perfect but really good. 


The formula for this mascara is a little dry so I did find that it flaked if I wore it too long. But I was able to layer and layer... and layer without clumps. 

The brush is one of those plastic/silicone ones and offers precision but is very medium sized. But I did feel that it was hard to get the lower lashes with this brush and it doesn't really give that wispy look. 


As always, I'm still looking for that dream mascara that will make people say WOW when they see my eyes. But until then, these two are really good options. 

--Amber

1 comment:

  1. I do enjoy those plastic applicators, Wet N Wild in the pink tube is a fave cheapie, not a plastic applicator though. The Too Faced stuff looks like fun to show off your amazing eyes!

    ReplyDelete