Social Media Icons

Thursday, June 5, 2014

My Current Skincare Routine

So for the last year or so (and especially the last few months) my skin has gone absolutely crazy. I'll always had pretty even and clear skin, even during my teen years. I've had a few blemishes I mean and some blackheads, but never anything major. Then recently my skin just decided to hit puberty... many, many years too late.

It started with a pimple that hasn't gone away for the last year or so on my cheek, then red dots all over my face. Once I started getting used to that then I had a really bad flare-up with painful red pimples around my temple. It was gross to say the least!

I decided I needed to make a change in my skincare routine to fix this issue. First, I added more exfoliating to my routine. I used Alba Botanica Hawaiian Pineapple Enzyme Facial Scrub for a while and I like it but it does leave a bit of a residue on your face which I'm not a fan of. So after a little digging on Pinterest I decided to try baking soda... and I love it. There's no residue, it's really cheap, and my skin feels amazing afterwards. I usually just make a little paste with it and scrub, or once a week I'll leave the paste on my face until it dries then rinse it off. This just makes my skin radiant and glowing and soooft... like silk!

Then to tackle the really bad breakouts on my temples and a few other just around my face, I tried Tea Tree Oil. Which, I'll be the first to admit, I have a bit of an obsession with. I read somewhere online that Tea Tree Oil works wonders on cold sores, which I unfortunately am susceptible to. After trying it and being wowed by the results I read that it was also good for pimples. So I started attacking the breakouts with some of the oil! I now realize I should do a little disclaimer and let you all know that this stuff can be really powerful on your skin and can dry your skin out. I would not suggest daily use, just a dab here and there for pimples or mix with toner to create a liquid exfoliant... just use sparingly! OK back to business, so I used that and then I decided to take a look at my facial routine and see where I could improve it and my skin.

Soooo here's my current routine, and although I still am looking for a better toner and face wash, I have  seen some improvement in my skin tone, texture, and breakouts.

I start with makeup removing wipes to get the majority of the makeup off my face. This is a must for me as I never feel like the cleansers get it off. Burt's Bees is the wipes I am currently using, but I also really like Yes To Grapefruit Brightening Face Wipes. They both work really well and have a nice scent.


Then I actually wash my face with MyChelle Fruit Enzyme Cleanser. So I do like this stuff and I love the MyChelle company but it just doesn't dazzle me. And I know  you're thinking it's face wash what's there to be dazzling? But I just want to feel all tingly and squeaky clean after...ya know? So if you have any suggestions definitely let me know :)



Next, is exfoliating, but I already talked about that so then I use "toner". For toner I currently use a rose water witch hazel but I'm not sure how much it really tones... so I'll have to do some research, try some toners, and let you all know what I think. I also have the MyChelle Fruit Enzyme Mist which smells awesome but it leaves my skin kind of sticky after... not pleasant.

For moisturizer, I use two, I use one for day with an SPF and one for night. For day I use Alba Botanica Even Advanced Moisturizer with SPF 15. It is a really nice consistency and absorbs well. For night, I recently bought the Lush Imperialis Facial Moisturizer.




This Lush moisturizer is supposed to balance out the oil in your face per their website. I've only been using it for about a week now, but I have noticed that my face doesn't seem as only as it was before and that the texture of my skin has improved. The only thing is that this stuff doesn't smell wonderful... it's not awful... just very green if that makes any sense. But so far, so good, and a little goes a long way with this stuff.

And voila! That's it! My skin has gotten better with these products, although there's still more to try. I'm still not adept at dealing with these adult skin issues.

--Amber

3 comments:

  1. What CAN'T baking soda do? Love that stuff. I use a black lava facial soap but forget the name, I'll look later. It does provide the "squeaky clean" feel for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What does toner do? I am looking for ways to improve my skincare routine as well! I would also like tips on how to apply eyeshadow for daily (work). I love reading your blog posts! Keep it going!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tara, toner balances the pH level of your skin and can help you remove extra makeup leftover from cleansing and then depending on the type of toner you get it can have other benefits as well. And I will definitely try to do a work appropriate eye shadow tutorial for you soon :)

    ReplyDelete