Social Media Icons

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Disappointing Products #1 - Not Up to Snuff

It's not until I have sat down the last few months to write favorites posts (I swear one will come soon, see old posts here and here) that I realized I have have more non-favorites than favorites. Sad days, let me tell you.

But what a good opportunity for us to chat about those disappointing products that haven't worked for me. I love reading these kinds of posts from other bloggers because I learn just as much from the disappointments than the favorites.


Just a bit of a disclaimer first; all these opinions are for me and my skin type and preferences. Some of these products may work great for others, they just don't work for me. Now that that's out of the way, sit back relax and take a breath as we go through these products that simply don't wow.


Tarte
Lights, Camera, Flashes

I love (I mean love) the Lights, Camera, Lashes mascara from Tarte so I saw a recommendation for this version and thought, "Yeah, this has to be great!" And to be fair, I did think this was a waterproof formula, but it's not so there's that. The real issue is the brush, it's plastic with long spikes. And I'm not a fan of plastic brushes anyway, but this one is downright dangerous. I can't tell you how many times those spikes have stabbed me in the eye, not fun. Also, although you can get some great volume out of  this formula, it takes a bit of working with it to make that happen. I just don't have time to clean up the mess after being eye-stabbed and then working to get volume in the morning. I'll stick with the purple tubed version.

Wet n Wild

Plump= big fat black lashes, at least in my mind. Unfortunately this mascara just doesn't live up to that. It really acts more like a lash tint (anyone remember those?) where it adds a tiny bit of color and definition but it's just so natural looking. And I am not a girl who wants natural lashes. Also, I didn't find that this was all that waterproof.

NYX 
Proof It Mascara Top Coat

A great idea! As I've mentioned before I've had severe dry eyes for a year now and it makes me squint, blink, and put eye drops in a lot... so mascara must be waterproof for me. If not, I end up looking like a raccoon by noon and by the end of the day it's a great smudgy mess. Anyway I thought this product might help and it didn't really. Now I may be asking to much of it, but I want something that'll stay on my lashes and not my face :(

ELF
Smudge Pot Cream Eyeshadows - Brownie Points and Cruisn Chic (not in pic)

My issue with these isn't the formula. They're actually pretty nice. You can make the color pretty sheer or opaque really easily. And they blend out well and set without creasing. My only disappointment is the colors. The 2 I got look like a beautiful metallic bronze and metallic taupe color from the outside of the packaging. But once in the color itself they're pretty flat and not really shimmery/metallic and they don't have much dimension to them. I'll keep using them but I've just had to adjust my expectations.

Physician's Formula
Powder Palette Mineral Glow Pearls - Translucent Pearl

The color of this highlighter is beautiful in the pan and I wanted to like it so much. Really, I've had this for about 6 months hoping I'll finally figure it out. I've tried it with brushes (big and little), sponges, and my fingers. I just can't get any payoff from it it just wants to stay in it's little pan home and doesn't want to get on my face! Frustration. Okay so... As I was linking this I realized it's a face powder and not a highlight. #ImAnIdiot I'm going to have to give this another try and get back to you all... jeez embarrassing.


Wet n Wild
Max Volume Plus Waterproof Mascara

Okay so this mascara was under $5 so what should I really expect? But you know, I see volume on the name and I want volume damn it! And although this had more volume and color payoff than the other WnW mascara, it just didn't have the drama I want in a mascara. And again, the waterproofing wasn't great (there may be a theme here, and it could be only me). Just a let down.

Well that's a bit of a downer of a post, but like I said I think it's important to discuss the good, the bad, and the ugly. Let me know if you've had better luck with any of these products or if you have tales of products that disappointed you.


6 comments:

  1. So what is your favorite volume mascara???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes and Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascaras are both awesome! And from the Drugstore, Jordana Best Lash Extreme Volumizing is really good and about $3 at Walgreens.

      Delete
  2. Awesome. I love the name of the two faced mascara... i may have to buy that just for the name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's hilarious! I'm excited because they're supposed to release a waterproof formula this month... and I need it!

      Delete
  3. Mega plump was not my favorite either, it seems cheap mascara isn't great but still you have to find a good nice one, helpful post, thank u!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes and Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascaras; both are awesome! And from the Drugstore, Jordana Best Lash Extreme Volumizing is really good and about $3 at Walgreens.

      Delete