Social Media Icons

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Tips for Taking & Editing Photos

I've been blogging now for about 3 years (can you believe it?!?) and although I'm still no expert photographer or photo editor I have definitely picked up some tips and tricks to editing my photos.

I use my phone (Samsung Galaxy S6) primarily for my blog photos. It's just so conventient... and let's be honest I can't justify buying an expensive camera. And I'm sure many of you do the same.

Aura Photo Frames is sharing the guide below on tips for great pictures from your phone and asked me to include it in a post. I love these tips and have started incorporating them into my photography. So it seemed like a great fit to write about how I take and edit photos.

Aura Photo Frames are smart frames that making displaying your phone photos easy.  They automatically choose your best pictures and sort out blurry or duplicate pictures. 

Taking Great Pictures with your Phone



If you're interested in learning more about the frames, or placing an order you can do so here.

Now that you can take great pics with your phone, I wanted to show you my favorite apps for editing them.

Apps for Editing Pictures


Once I've taken photos with my phone I select the best one(s) and use a few different photo editing apps to prepare them to post on the blog and on social media. I use different apps for different features, below are my favorite picture editing apps:

Photoshop Express (Android/iPhone)


Original Picture

Edited in Photoshop Express
This mobile Photoshop doesn't have all the orignal's bells and whistles but it does offer a little more than your average app - Along with exposure, color, and saturation, you can adjust the whites, highlights and shadows of your pictures.

 It also has the ability to remove redeye and blemishes (which can come in handy) and has a nice cropping feature and filters to play with.

I like that this app is intuitive and easy to use, I use it for almost all my social media postings. 

Photogrid (Android/iPhone)


Original Picture

Edited in Photogrid

I use Photogrid whenever I want to make a photo collage. This app is also pretty simple and straightforward. It gives you options for the grid layout, background colors, and border thickness. I also use this app alot for adding text to my photos as it's got pretty great fonts and format features. 

You can also edit your photos in this app, but I usually edit them in Photoshop Express first. 

Pixlr (Online)

Example at top of post

If you don't want to shell out for Photoshop, Pixlr is a great alternative. There's no signing up or downloads required, and it's a pretty robust option for photo editing. 

It has a similar layout to Photoshop, so if you're familiar with that you'll step right into Pixlr, You can do a lot with this app, my most commonly use features are: curves, color balance, cropping, and image resize.

I edit most of my blog pictures using this app and find that it does a great job for my basic needs.

Well those are my most used photo editing apps for social media and blog posts. I hope this post helps you with taking pictures using your phones and editing them afterwards. Remember, as a beginner (and beyond) it's ok not to have the msot fancy equipment, just keep practicing and you'll improve. I kow I just keep getting better and better. 

Thank you!
Let's Be Social! @ Twitter | Instagram | Bloglovin'

No comments

Leave a Comment