Social Media Icons

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

3 Things I Wish I Knew Before Buying a House


If you follow me on social media you probably know that I just purchased a condo. I have been doing some work on it and am moving in this weekend! It's very exciting but it is (and was) so very nerve-racking. This is the 2nd home I've purchased and I think I now have a few tips on buying a home and/or things I wish I'd done.

The 3 Things I Wish I Knew 


Get a Few Mortgage Quotes

When I decided to buy again, I went straight for the mortgage broker I'd used for my last purchase. Now, I don't think I got a back deal or anything, but I do wish I'd got another quote or 2 to compare rates. I'm usually a planner/researcher on my decisions and just picking someone never quite sat right with me.

More Thoroughly Walk the Condo

After I already put in an offer on this place I was looking at Home Buying Tips or Things to Know Before Purchasing a Home (a little late I know). I read that many people, myself included, don't look deeply into a home they are viewing. We don't want to be rude and open other people's lives up. And in my case, I thought I was coming off as too picky and wasting the realtor's time. But I now know that I would have been more prepared for some issues I did find if I dug deeper.

What I mean by deeper is:

  • Open cabinets and look at the tops, bottoms and sides
  • Open closets and look at walls, ceilings, the doors themselves
  • Look closely at windows and sliding glass doors; are they newer, are there screens?
  • Take a look at the space as a whole and think about where your furniture would go, will it fit?
  • Look at vents, do they lead somewhere, are they plugged in and wired?

Ask a Million Questions

Don't be afraid to ask. I am always and I don't know why, it's some weird issue I have with appearing stupid. But it's stupid not to ask. I did ask some questions, don't get me wrong! But I always seem to look back and wish I'd asked more.

Things I Did Right 


Know the Buyers Market in your Area

I knew that Denver is a seller's market right now and that rent and home purchase prices are going up. So I knew it would be competitive and challenging to find a place within my budget, location, and timeline.

Pick a Reputable Realtor

I talked to family, friends, and colleagues to see if anyone had advice on a realtor. I ended taking the recommendation of a colleague for the sale of my 1st home and this purchase. I really enjoyed working with them and the company. My realtor was very knowledgable about the area and homes, she answered my questions and was able to help me narrow done my search.


Knew What You Want vs. What You Need

If you've ever watch a home buying show you'll know this is a constant struggle between buyers expectations and the reality. I've seen enough of these shows and been through the process before so I had more clear expectations. But I did make a list of the things I wanted, than I really focused on what I needed, and what was my priority in the wants. For example:

Needs: 2 bedrooms, 1st or 2nd Floor, and Air Conditioning
Wants: Garage (Top priority), 2 bathrooms, close to my current apartment, newer appliances

With this list I was able to make an appropriate decision. I did compromise on the garage... but I have 2 close parking spaces, so I'll deal!

And Now

Overall I am very happy in my purchase! I got a place in the area I wanted, I have close parking, great places to walk the dog, 2 bathrooms. The place was well maintained and although it needs some updating, nothing is urgent. I can take some time to get settled in then decide what I want tackle first. I hope you enjoyed these home buying tips.

Thank you all for reading and please watch for future posts on decorating my new place!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these tips that are actually useful! It seems like looking deeply into a house would be being picky, but since you’re making such a big investment, it only makes sense! Will have to remember these for the future.

    TFM BLOG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they help you on your search, and good luck!!

      Delete