Social Media Icons

Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Last-Minute Halloween Costume - Bird Makeup

We've all been here- you have no Halloween plans and didn't think of a costume, then someone up and invites you to a Halloween party that night! What do you do?

Well funny enough I didn't plan on doing a makeup tutorial this year like I did the last 2 years (see my Cruella and Spider Lady makeups) becuase life's just been crazy. But due to many requests I tried to come up with something simple that I could do with the makeup I already have. And here's what I came up with!


Bird Makeup

This is an easy Halloween makeup that's versatile and you should own all the products you need to do it. Score! What I like about this is you can change the colors to fit your asthetic and you can be whatever kind of bird you want. 

I really wanted to use my Colourpop Yes Please palette because it's just a little too much for me to use daily but the colors are amazing... so here's my solution a fun red/yellow bird done in about 30 minutes. I call that a last-minute Halloween costume miracle.


What You'll Need 

  • Base products (primer, foundation, concealer, etc...)
  • Eyeshadows or a palette in your desired colors
  • Liquid Eyeliner
  • Mascara
  • Lipstick
  • Setting Spray
  • Glue Stick
  • Brushes

Getting Started

  • Prep your skin as normal... moisturizer, primer, and eyelid primer
  • Glue down your eyebrowss - take a glue stick (make sure it's washable and non-toxic) and paste your brows up and out so they lay flat - this makes drawing over your eyebrows easier
  • Put on your foundation - be sure to put some over the ends of your brows and your mouth
  • Add concealer where neccessary and powder it down - this is a great time to bake so your makeup will last all night!

Building Your Bird

  • Pick a dark shade in your palette (I used a dark red-brown) and with an angled brush:
    • Draw a line from under the front of you brow to the middle, flick up and out at the arch
    • Extend front of brow down the nose to a point at the tip of your nose - fill in the brows
  • Use your eyeliner to draw a long and fairly thick cat-eye wing, extend past your inner corner
    • I used my post-it trick for the wing (see here)
  • Use a medium-dark color (mine is red) to put in the crease and draw to mimic your brow lines
  • Fill in the space on your lid and below brows - I used a sparkly orangeish color
  • Blend some shadow on your lower lash line to define

Finishing Touches

  • Fill in space in your nose "beak area"
  • Add some lines to "feather" out your brows, under the eyes, around the nose, etc...
  • Add highlight and sparkle to the edges of your forehead, tip of nose, and cheekbones  (I might have forgot the last 2 oops!)
  • Contour with some darker shades from your chosen palette - I used a lighter orange-brown and a red-brown
    • Focus under the cheekbones but higher up, towards the outer edges of your face
  • Mascara and falsies, I didn't use falsies here but I think they would add some nice flutter to your eyes
  • Spray with a setting spray! Let Dry
  • Add your lip - draw on a shape that's small and rounder than your normal lips
  • Add feathers!

This makeup only took me about 30 minutes, so you could definitely do this on short notice. This was my first take of doing as well because I wanted to see how hard it would really be. Also, the feathers in my hair are actually from my cats' toys! So if you have time to practice you can make it look even better. 

I hope you all have a Happy Halloween and would love to know what you're dressing as this year. Comment below!

No comments

Leave a Comment