Social Media Icons

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Kicking Primer to the Curb!

I have been trying to combat this oily skin for quite a while now. It seems that by lunch time my face is shiny and makeup is patchy. It's not a good look!

So I decided to try primers to see what would work; I'd used them before but it always seemed like an unnecessary step in my routine. So I tried BareMinerals Prime Time, ELF Poreless Face Primer,  and sampled Tarte Cleanslate Poreless Primer (not pictured).

I found that none of these seemed to help my problem and they actually made it worse. I would get oilier, earlier in the day. I think it's because all 3 of these primers have that silicone texture. I just can't figure out what that's good for except for filling in pores and fine lines maybe. But I feel like it just made my makeup slide off.

I gave up primers and just went back to foundation and powder and eat with that midday melt away, until a certain YouTuber (Leighannsays) flipped my world upside down! She did a video on how she tried powder before foundation to ensure longevity. 

So I gave it a go and I do think it works so much better than primers. I use the ELF High Definition Powder in Translucent to provide a nice foundation but no coverage. Of course there are a few tricks for a great application:
  • You want to use as little powder as possible, I used a fan brush for a really light application.
  • Just put the powder where you need it; on the t-zone and cheeks for me, don't put it under your eyes.
  • Apply foundation as normal and finish off with more powder if necessary... but be careful of too much powder, you can begin to look cakey (trust me!). 

Finally as an ultimate measure and to combat that powdery-ness I will use a makeup setting spray like Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray



I have used this for the day and it helps keep my makeup on through a full day of work and a crazy humid building, but more often than not this is a all-night kind of look. I hope if works for you all!

No comments

Leave a Comment