Social Media Icons

Thursday, August 27, 2015

Because I Love a Good Romance

Ok, I know, it's not exactly classy or sophisticated to mention that you may or may not read trashy (or not-so-trashy) romance novels. But you know what I love them and it's time the world knew :)

No these are not epic pieces of literature, and you almost always know how they're going to end (hint: the guy always gets the girl), but I find them enthralling, entertaining, and a great before-bed read. These are of course adult books by their nature, there is a lot of adult content (so beware). But some of the best books also include captivating stories that hook you in.... and of course, the romance of it all!

First, I've tried to read modern romances, and I just don't like them. I'm not sure why but I really only read historical romances... they just speak to me. They are often about a broken man who meets a challenging women (in a time with too few) who changes him. I know it's sappy and not-so-feminist of me. But I'm a girl who loves some romance, love, and a little of the other stuff ;) Of this genre (sub-genre?) I have found 2 authors who are undoubtedly my favorites.

So let's take a look at my 2 favorite authors and their books:


Johanna Lindsey
Lindsey is the first novelist to truly get me into the romance genre. Before I would only read romances when there was nothing else around.


The book that started it all for me was Captive Bride - set in 1183. The main character travels from England to Egypt with her brother and is kidnapped by a desert nomad sheik, a handsome sheik. It doesn't sound like grounds for a great romance, but it is. It's a story with a few twists, turns and I thoroughly enjoyed the ride.


Elizabeth Hoyt
I've read 2 series from Hoyt so far and I'm in love with her writing. I think the best part about Hoyt is her characters; they are all flawed in some way and must overcome that to find love. Also she includes a mystery or multiple mysteries as a background to her stories that keep you interested throughout the books. Each book in her series depicts it's own main couple and their story as well as interconnecting characters from other books in the series.


The first series of hers that I read, but sadly do not own is Legend of the Four Soldiers - these books set in the 1700's in London were so well written and kept me captivated throughout all 4 books. The 4 men in the books are all affected by a battle they all took part in in the Americas and are trying to make their way back into civilian life. The women are strong and sassy and use this to heal their men. Ahhh, the powers  of love.



The next series is the one I'm currently reading and another favorite, the Maiden Lane Series - These books are set in the 1730's in London. With characters both from gentry and not, the stories surround the poorest part of London and its affect on the characters' lives... or their affect on it. The characters overcome social standing, thieves and murderers, family, and emotional turmoil to find each other. There are currently 8 books in this series (I have 6 and can't wait to get the other 2) and a 9th book is currently available for pre-order.


I am so excited to share my love of romance novels with you all, because hey when do you actually hear anyone talk about them. I really enjoy being part of these stories and these authors are great at bringing you in. I look forward to reading more and will update you with any new favorites.

Please comment below if you have any recommendations, I'd love to hear them!


3 comments:

  1. I love romances but have never been able to get into historical ones. I'll have to try Hoyt especially since they sound pretty interesting. Right now, I am all about cozy mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you talking about those! I'll need to give them a try once I'm done with the Hoyt books. Do you recommend a particular series?

      Delete
  2. Haha just saw this many months later I would check out the website cozy-mystery.com. There is a knitting one I like by Maggie sefton. I like Joanne flukes Hannah Swenson and softie Kelly's magical cats

    ReplyDelete