Social Media Icons

Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Messy Waves and Curly Hair Tutorial

Pictures by Krysta Kaptures
___________________________________________________________________________________

First off, Happy New Year everyone! I hope that 2017 is a great year for us all... and that we have great hair to go with it!



This tutorial has been requested for a while, so I'm glad to finally bring it to you all. And a special shoutout and thank you to Krysta for being my photographer (see her info at the end) 

Usually I curl my hair the morning after I wash it and go for a messy curls look for the day. Then for day 2 I brush out the curls for more of a wavy hair look. To see how I do it, check out the tutorial below

Everyday Curls


I use a Nume Curling Wand (see my review here) for this, which I love because my curls last for 2 whole days (sometimes more if I'm feeling lazy). 


To start I seperate my hair into sections using a hair clip; 1st the bottom layer, 2nd the middle layer, and finally the top layer. 

I take approximately 1-inch sections and curl away from my face. I only hold for about 5 seconds, but up to 7 seconds on larger sections. Be careful to a) use the glove that comes with the wand, b) don't keep your hair on too long, we don't want to smell burning hair or hands here!

I finish each layer with hairspray and/or dry texturizing spray. I'm not showing a hairspray here because I can't find a good cruelty-free option (any recommendations?).

And I do this all over my head... which only takes about 10 minutes once you get the hang of it. And I have a lot of hair, so you might be able to get it done in 5.

Messy Curls


Once my hair has cooled, I seperate and pull apart the curls with my fingers to get that messy bedhead look. I like to rough it up a bit at roots (great time for that texturizing spray) for extra volume.


Pretty Waves


On day 2 I douse my hair in dry shampoo, rub that in, then brush out the messy curls for a more fluffy wavy hair look. 


*If you have trouble with keeping the curls, you can twist your hair back into curl shape after brushing. Or you can throw a few new curls in with the wand. 


Finally, if my hair is looking rough at the bottoms, I'll finish off with some hair oil.

So there you have it, my 2 day curly hair tutorial. Let me know if you try this method, I'd love to see your pics!

Photographer: Krysta from Krysta Kaptures

2 comments:

  1. 2 days worth of curls? Wonder if thin hair would hold? I can happily recommend Amika hair spray, firm but touchable and has the leaping bunny! Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the recommendation, it's in my Amazon list now! Also, I would try a dry shampoo or texturizing spray to help your thin hair hold the curl.

      Delete