Social Media Icons

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Foundation 101: Applying your Foundation

The 3rd installment is here! We've talked about analyzing your skin and types of foundation and now we'll put it together and talk about how to apply foundation!

So in this post I'm going to talk about methods that I've tried and what works for me. But as always try out different techniques and find what works best for you.

I will be talking about applying liquid foundation as that's the type of foundation that works the best for me. I am using the IT-O2 Ultra Repair Liquid Oxygen Foundation.

Ok, so let's get real for a second, there is really only one hard and fast rule to foundation; just one thing to remember no matter which method you choose. And that is to BLEND, BLEND, BLEND!

The type of foundation, method of application, and your skin type may determine the amount you need to blend, but always remember to blend into your hairline, neck, ears... basically everywhere.

Ok I'm off my soap box, let's get started.

First, apply a dollop of foundation to the back of your hand. This way you can control the amount of foundation you're using and add more if needed.


Then, I like to apply little dots of foundation all around my face. This helps me ensure even coverage and I feel I can control the coverage a little better. And yes I know this picture is funny looking, but don't knock it to you try it!


Now, the important part... how do we blend this all in?

Fingers - One of the best "tools" in your makeup arsenal. using your fingers to blend in foundation can give you a really light natural coverage. This method also allows you to stretch your product further as your fingers aren't absorbing any of the product.

Sponge - Sponges are great at applying foundation with more coverage and for blending! Also, depending on the type of sponge, they can also be disposable so you may not have to deal with the cleaning. Try dampening the sponge for more blending power :)

Brushes - My all time favorite! There are multiple brushes out there for different outcomes, but brushes in general can be great for blending, applying more coverage, and a nice natural look.

Here are my take on the types of brushes I've tried:
  • Foundation Brush - This is the typical foundation brush sold in stores that is flat and usually tan colored.   I don't like these brushes very much, I've tried them and they can be ok, but I find it very hard to blend with this brush and find that my foundation will be streaky. This could be ok to apply if you then blended with another brush.
  • Stippling Brush - This is a dual fiber brush that is often black and white (see below) with a flat top. And essentially you dip the brush in your foundation and then pat it into your skin. This brush is great for full coverage in those areas you may need to cover a little more. Again, these aren't great for blending, so you may want to blend after.
  • Kabuki Brush - This is my favorite, especially a flat kabuki (pictured below). I like to use the flat top to stipple on foundation and then blend out everywhere else with circular motions.
ecotools Kabuki Buffing Brush and elf Studio Stipple Brush
Remember, once you apply your first layer of foundation, you can always do a second layer wherever you think you need more coverage. 

Also, remember that foundation can only cover so much! That's why they invented concealer, turn to concealer for spots and redness to avoid cakey looking foundation.

Overall, with the right product and tools you can get a great flawless (or less-flawed) looking face!

Below is my foundation-ed face! I hope this has helped you all! Please let me know what you've thought of this blog series.









No comments

Leave a Comment