Social Media Icons

Friday, July 7, 2017

5 Tips to Get Out of a Funk

First off, I hope you all had a wonderful 4th of July! I am playing around with my blog schedule and formatting so there may be some tweaks in the coming weeks. But please know I will still be posting weekly on this space. Hopefully I'll find a good fit soon :)

 Got the blahs? doldrums? boredom? or funk? Yea me too! We all get that way now and again. Maybe our social lives aren't as lively as we'd like, we're lacking motivation to start something, getting out of the house seems more and more a challenge, that guy/girl hasn't called us back, etc... The list goes on and on and it just gets more and more overwhelming to get yourself back up and functioning again.

I think especially as a single person,  a lot of these feelings/issues are exacerbated by feeling alone and lonely. And though I wish, I could give you the magic formula to find love (I'm still working on that front), I can offer support. I've compiled some tips & tricks that I use to pull myself out of these funky times and back into my life:

#1 - Allow Yourself Some Alone Time


Maybe you're in the doldrums because you need some time alone to recharge and refresh. And you know that's ok. Start a great book or series on Netflix, make a delicious dinner for one, or have an at-home spa night. Just take the cue and focus on yourself for a bit before taking the next steps.

I love to spend time snuggling with my dog and cats. Giving them extra attention is always good for everyone! Also taking time to write in a journal and/or remember what you have to be gateful for in your life are great ways to bring some perspective.

#2 - Say Yes!


The funny thing about having the blahs is that I start to live in this dark state of mind and withdraw from the outside world. So I start then saying no to offers to get out and do something... no bueno. Say yes and get off your couch, into some real clothes, and back into the world.

For example a few weeks ago (when I was pinnacle funky) I was offered to do makeup for a photo shoot by a local blogger (VanessaLand). Normally, I might have talked myself out of this, "Who am I to think I can do makeup for others?" But I talked myself up, picked up my confident mask and said yes! And guess what? It was an amazing experience; I met great ladies, did some beautiful makeup, and was so proud of myself. I walked away from that feeling powerful!



#3 - Reach Out to People


Obviously you've got some free time, so what better way to rekindle a relationship or start a new friendship with someone.

I'm terrible at keeping in touch with friends, so I use this time to reach out and setup happy hour or lunch dates. Also, what a great time to focus on networking. I've made some great connections online and in person by actively reaching out to other bloggers.

#4 - Do Something that Scares You 


As you may remember from my birthday post (here) one of my goals this year was to not let fear rule me. And to that point doing something that makes me afraid or nervous can do wonders for my mood.

Just this last weekend I went shooting for the first time. At first, I was terrified! Here I had a gun in my hand that could potentially kill me or others, and it was scarey. But as I went on and learned about the weapons, safeties, and aiming I became more comfortable. And I walked away feeling empowered and so proud of myself. It's a high that I could get used to!




#5 - Set or Re-evaluate Your Goals


I often find the reason behind my blahs is that I'm unhappy with where I am in life. I don't know about you all, but I often feel stuck. And as much as I'd like to think a new relationship, job, degree, or whatever will fix that, it's usually that I'm not actively pursuing the things I want out of life.

In my most recent bout of funk I was really unhappy with my job and started job searching. But it dawned on me that I actually should go back to school, as that will help me more in my future than a new position. Even just the act of researching degrees and schools, helped pull me out of the funk.

I hope these tips help you the next time you're in a funk that you just can't seem to crawl out of! Good luck to you all and remember "if we're all alone, then we're all in that together" (quote from P.S. I Love You).

Have a great week lovelies!

Don't forget to follow me on social media  @ Twitter | Instagram | Bloglovin'


No comments

Leave a Comment