Social Media Icons

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

All the Reasons You Need a Facial

Ahh... a facial to me is what a massage is to most people... pure relaxation. I love the calm music, pampering creams, lotions, and serums, the clean feeling of exfoliation, and of course the mini head and arm/shoulder massages aren't bad either. It amazes me how many people I know who haven't had a facial before. Crazy! I promise you need a facial, in your life, now!

I was lucky enough to win a free facial from a fairly new local business, I Heart Skin. Jenny is the owner and esthetician. She is great at the facial and relaxtion aspects, but she is also a fountain of information. As a self-proclaimed "skincare nerd" she can help you figure out your skin type, issues, solutions, and recommendations.


Below is my experience and why you need a facial too!


Learn About Your Skin

Ever since my skin went a little haywire about 2 years ago I really started focusing on my skin. And apparently I was confused, as I was so focused on getting rid of the acne that I didn't really see my skin. I thought for years I had oily skin... until an oil made all the difference and I started to question that.

Jenny informed me that my skin isn't oily, it's combination/dry. Also, where I used to think I had large pores, she told me mine are actually small. Mind Blown!

Treating Your Skin

After speaking with me and examining my skin Jenny made a plan to start the facial and treatment. She says the first time you visit her, she likes to start with gentle products to get to know your skin and see how it reacts. She starts with steam, which is nice an warm, to open your pores and prep your skin for the products. Then she did a cleanse, toner, serum... and of course the mask! The mask did some exfoliation with fruit enzymes and provided some moisture. 

Then there comes the extractions, no one's favorite portion, but necessary none-the-less. If you don't know, this is when the esthetician cleans out your pores, by squeezing out the gunk. In my past experience this can be really painful (like they should use it as torture, painful!), but Jenny had a gentle touch and it wasn't near so bad... which is high praise!

She finishes off with some sunscreen and moisturizer to make your skin feel silky smooth. Afterwards I feel so clean and nice.

Relaxation

With calming new age music playing quietly in the background and a darkened room you feel relaxed before you're even laying down on the table. Then you get cozy and are almost transported to another world once the steam machine starts going.

All the products being applied on your skin feel soothing. Plus mini facial massages! Finally, as the mask does it's business you get a lovely shoulder, neck, and head massage that are just glorious. I came out of the facial feeling relaxed but also rejuvinated and oddly invigorated :)

Product and Treatment Recommendations

Finally, throughout the whole facial I was asking a million and one questions to Jenny and she was so helpful with answers on products and treatments I could try to treat my skin concerns. One of my major concerns has been the texture and tone of my skin. I've had recently some bumps and overall uneveness throughout my face as well as some blotchiness. Jenny recommended exfoliation a few times a week and microdermobrasion (maybe our next session).

My Skin After the Facial

Here is my skin right after the facial; it's a little red but it really glowed and felt oh-so-clean. And the redness went down by the next day, so it doesn't last long at all. Also don't mind the black around my eyes... I made the mistake of wearing eye makeup before I went in :(


Final Thoughts

As I'm sure you can tell by now, I love me a facial! And I believe Jenny at I Heart Skin does the best one I've had yet. She is knowledgable, skilled, and so sweet. I'll definitely be going back for more and I recommend her and facials to everyone... man or woman. It's time people!


No comments

Leave a Comment