Social Media Icons

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Cover FX Custom Cover Drops Review

I was so excited to learn about this product and set out immediately to learn all I could about the Cover FX Custom Coverage Drops. I mean a foundation that allows you to customize the coverage, protection, consistency, and benefits, what's not to love?!?

At first I went into a Sephora try it on my hand and think about a color. I decided I was N25, and I liked how it felt mixed with some Cover FX primer. But it is pricey at $44 so I decided not to get it. Then a few weeks passed and I really needed a higher-coverage foundation as I am having such skin issues recently. So I took a deep breath and called it a birthday present to me! 

I got color matched in Sephora and found I was right, that N25 would suit me (I love being right!). The saleswoman tested the product out on me mixed with a primer, then a moisturizer. I did notice that when mixed with a primer it didn't sit quite right, but I thought what the hell! I can fix it with my Real Techniques blending sponge. So I bought it... and got my free Sephora birthday gift out of it... can't complain.


I've now tried it mixed with primer, moisturizer, and a CC cream and feel that I can fully report on my thoughts. 

I used usually 3-4 drops when mixed with the primer and moisturizer to create a full coverage and 2 drops with foundation to beef up the coverage a bit. 

First the positive: I absolutely fell in love with the coverage of this product! As I said above I've been having some skin issues with blemishes and scarring on in the hollows of my cheeks and on my chin. And as you can see in the pictures below, these were almost totally gone... I can barely notice anything happen but a blemish or two. So at first I was delighted and kept showing my face off to my mom and cousin. "See doesn't my skin look great?" "Can you believe how much this stuff covered?" etc, etc...

Then, the real test came when I decided to where this stuff for a full day to work. And that's where the disappoint came. First, let me preface this by saying I have very oily skin and my face eats through makeup like a fat kid eats cake! It's just not funny... but I digress. So I wasn't expecting miracles. However, this makeup did some weird stuff! By the afternoon (we're taking 6 hours of wear) it looked like I didn't know how to apply makeup. 

There were weird areas wear my glasses had hit my face and it just scrapped the makeup right off that area. Then the foundation curdled (does foundation curdle? I don't know but that's what we're going with) into areas on my face and it just looked like I swiped it on and forgot to blend in or something.

Final negative: When I used a primer I never felt like the makeup meshed with my skin or really got buffed in, it always felt like it was just sitting there on top and it moved around a lot. I just didn't feel secure. This is much better when mixed with moisturizer but I felt the coverage just wasn't the same when I did this.

See below for each result
 with ELF Poreless Primer
 with Body Shop Mattifying Moisturizer 
with It Cosmetics CC+ Cream
 So overall, I was really excited about this product when I first tried it as it's coverage is amazing. However, it just didn't sit right on my skin and wear really awkwardly throughout the day. #disappointed

Let me know if you've tried these and have any tips, otherwise it's return-land for me and on to the next foundation trial. Any suggestions?


No comments

Leave a Comment